Sunday 5 October 2008

Mother-daughter bonding


Today while I was at my Mum's spending time with my niece my Mum dug out her old knitting bag (by bag I really mean suitcase!) and gave me a load of old patterns and yarn.

We found an old piece my Nan had been knitting and it made me so glad I'd got back into knitting now she's not here. It feels like a link between the generations, and reminds me of when she taught me.

There was also an old toy my Mum had started and was midway through. Looking closely at the stitches and seeing how simple it was made me feel much more confident that I can move on to more than scarves.

Mum then taught me how to do cables, and I was utterly surprised at how simple it was. When I saw the pictures in my stitch and bitch book and saw the three needles I thought I'd never be able to do it! Every time I try something new I'm blown away by how complicated it seems to start with and then how quickly it becomes something you barely have to think about.

I hope I never stop knitting again. Right now I'm addicted and I really want to keep it that way, even if my left hand is slowly turning into the claw of pain! I just hope I won't be one of those people who gets bored easily, or who messes up a project and throws it aside in frustration and then never comes back to it. It's like therapy, and I want to keep it!

No comments: